We Work for You to Maximize Your Settlement
Fires, Storms, and Other Disasters
Our Mission Statement
Our commitment is to provide property owners with the best possible assistance and guidance in handling their insurance claims or disputes such that they achieve the maximum deserved settlement of their insurance claim while reducing the time and stress during the claims settlement process.
About Disaster Adjusting
Disaster Adjusting has expert knowledge and many years of experience in claims policy interpretation, negotiation, settlements and disputes. This, accompanied with hands-on experience in project management, reconstruction, personal property/business personal property (contents), cleaning, inventory, and restoration makes Disaster Adjusting a leader in the field of public adjusting and consultation. We work to achieve a maximum settlement by providing you with services and knowledge regarding your loss that others may overlook or may not even know exists.
Disaster Adjusting provides you with additional “insurance” that your claim will be handled properly, as we will assume all of the duties necessary to settle your claim. It is only after a satisfactorily settled claim that we get paid.
- We are paid a small fee based on the total settlement amount.
- We collect this relatively small fee only after you get paid, and it is not an out-of-pocket expense.
- The fee is offset because we historically vastly increase the amount of a properly owed monetary recovery, and from an avoidance of making costly mistakes, reducing time lost as we efficiency and properly handle your claim.
How would you know if you’re getting a fair settlement from your insurance company?
The fact is you probably wouldn’t know, until it’s too late. Many of the coverages and items on your policy may never be addressed or paid out properly. Most policyholders just accept a settlement from their insurance company, and didn’t know they may have had other options.
Bill Watterud, Owner and President
I am a Public Adjuster, licensed by the Department of Insurance in nine states, and am a second-generation business owner with specialized experience in negotiations, settlements, and disputes relating to residential, commercial and industrial property insurance losses from fire, water, storm, and other disasters.
OVER 40 YRS IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY
- Experienced interpretation of insurance information and policy language.
- Firsthand experience in the insurance restoration field for both structural and personal property.
- Public adjusting and claims management in residential or commercial insurance claims for small or large multimillion-dollar property insurance losses.
- Xactimate certified.
- Managing insurance claims settlements, negotiations, or disputes.
- WIND certified appraiser and umpire.
- Adjuster licenses in multiple states.
- Member of NAPIA
- Public Adjuster representing policyholders with their insurance claims to obtain a proper settlement from their insurance carrier.
- Owned and managing of day-to-day operations for both Watterud, Inc. (insurance restoration business) and Disaster Adjusting, LLC.
- Owner of Watterud, Inc. – Insurance restoration business and general contracting.
- Manager of Watterud, Inc. – Insurance restoration and general contracting.
- Laborer at Watterud, Inc. – Insurance restoration and general contracting.
- WIND Umpire and Appraiser.
- NAPIA/WIND Courses
- Preparation of depositions and statements under oath.
- Business income, extra expense, rental value and loss of use-understanding coverages and concepts.
- The ethical practice of public adjusting.
- Understanding water/smoke damage remediation, standards and means and methods.
- Problem and solution under law and ordinance and code upgrade coverage.
- Structure, format and forms of an insurance policy.
- New developments in the engineering investigation of wind/hurricane damage.
- SIU Investigations – what are they and what is their place in the claims process.
- Essential protections for the insured and protecting their rights to the property claims.
- Management and documentation of property insurance claims files.
- Pollution and contamination clean-up coverage.
- Property claims for municipalities and other government entities.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- Licensed Public Adjuster
- South Carolina
- HAAG Certified
- OSHA Certified
Susan Pierce-Watterud, Co-Owner
I’ve always had a love for helping people. It was why I went to nursing school and managed a Vitamin Shoppe retail store, because I wanted to help improve the health and lives of people.
After meeting and having a long-term personal relationship with Bill, I chose to help manage Watterud, Inc. – his restoration company – having had years of management experience throughout my entire career. Later, after Bill chose to change professions by becoming a public adjuster, we both came together to found Disaster Adjusting. At the time, I was working at another job. However, after much discussion, we agreed that we were better served if I would quit my job and join the business full-time. I also studied and received my own Public Adjusters license.
Today, I work closely with Bill to run the business’ operations. I run and have oversight of the offices, and also help our policyholder-clients with their personal property claims (contents, inventory, pricing and aging, depreciation recovery, etc.), and work to narrow the downtime of business interruption, as well as the living expenses and experiences during the claims process.
We are both extremely dedicated to helping the policyholder, because they are people that had really bad things happen to them, and we didn’t want further bad things to happen to them as they deal with their insurance company during their claims and insurance settlement process.